Oopps, it has been some time since I have done a mindfulness post, being busy is no excuse as you should always make time to be mindful. Especially as this is such an important step. Recently, I have started doing some pilates, nothing fancy, just me , a DVD and a yoga mat, and this has highlighted the importance of controlling your breath as you both relax and exercise your body. That’s what we are going to look at here.
As always the next part of my post comes from my mindfulness book, so here goes.
“When you own your breath, no one can steal your peace.” – anon.
- Feel your breathing, place your hand on you chest and be aware of the movement of air.
- Breathe slowly and deeply, inhale through your nose while counting to 5, pause for 3 and slowly exhale out through your mouth.
- Alternate your breathing, in through one nostril and out through the other and switch, breathing out for as long as possible.
- Use you imagination, imagine you are breathing a pleasant scent and then breathing out bubbles or imagine the colour of the air filling your body and the space around you.
- Count backwards, deeply inhale and upon exhalation count backwards from 9, then on your next breath count down from 8 and so on.
I often use that second one to help me sleep, whether its the counting or the breathing it really does help to clear your mind! And remember, a little bit of mindfulness is better than none at all. #mindfulness